The self-appointed Paradise Bay Harbormaster of Brown Station
We attempt to visit this small but pleasant research station during some of our Antarctica expeditions. There is a nice hill and view behind Brown Station, though it is quite steep (84 meters or 276 feet high), and there are a few lower areas that also offer great scenery. The staff at Brown Station sometimes provide short talks to our guests, but there are no formal tours.
Picture by Iain Rudkin
Brown Station history and highlights
Named after William Brown, an admiral and founding member of the Argentine Navy, Brown Station was established in 1951 near Paradise Harbor on the Sanavirón Peninsula, in Antarctica’s Graham Land. The station served as a permanent base from its construction until 1984, but now it is only used during the summer for the purposes of scientific research.
Picture by Sara Jenner
Scientific research conducted at Brown Station
The research done at Brown Station has led to considerable advancements across multiple disciplines, along with the publication of over 100 scientific papers by the Argentine Antarctic Institute. Biology, oceanography, glaciology, geophysics, ozone monitoring, ionospheric observations, and many other topics are studied at Brown Station.
Picture by unknown photographer
Main image by Esther Kokmeijer