Cape Evans is a rocky cape on the west side of Ross Island.
History of Cape Evans
The cape was discovered by the British National Antarctic Expedition (1901 – 1904), under Robert Falcon Scott, who named it the "Skuary" after the birds. Scott's second expedition, the British Antarctic Expedition (1910 – 1913), built its headquarters here, renaming the cape for Lieutenant Edward Evans, second in command of the expedition. Scott's headquarters building still exists and is known as Scott's Hut. The hut of Scott was used during the winter of 1911. From here, Scott and his team made his fatal journey to the South.
Visit Cape Evans
We intend to visit Cape Evans with the cabin of Robert Falcon Scott on our Ross Sea Journeys.