South Georgia is a British overseas territory. The island was first sighted in 1675 by a London merchant, but it does not appear to have been explored until 1775, when it was claimed for the British. The area was primarily used during the 19th and 20th centuries as a base for sealing and whaling. The first semi-permanent inhabitants moved to the island in 1904 as part of the industrial scale whaling that commenced at the time in this area.
466 cruises found