History of Aasiaat
It was founded in 1763 by a son of the famous “Apostle of Greenland”, the Norwegian missionary, Hans Egede. There is archaeological evidence that the area was inhabited by Inuit as early as 500 BC.
Now the town has a population of about 3000 inhabitants. The area is famous for the large whales that pass-by the island in summer. It is also the gateway to Disko Bukta and the north-western coast of Greenland because of its international airport.