The Cape Evans of Ross Island
Cape Evans makes up the north side of the entrance to Erebus Bay in Antarctica, and is a stony cape on the west side of Ross Island.
Cape Evans' fateful history
Discovered by the British National Antarctic Expedition (1901 – 1904), under Robert Falcon Scott, Cape Evans was originally named "Skuary" after the birds. Scott's second expedition, the British Antarctic Expedition (1910 – 1913), built its headquarters at Cape Evans, renaming the cape for Lieutenant Edward Evans, second in command of the expedition.
Scott's headquarters at Cape Evans still exists and is known as Scott's Hut, used during the winter of 1911. From here Scott and his team made their fatal journey to the South.
How to visit Cape Evans
When local conditions permit, we tend to visit Cape Evans along with the cabin of Robert Falcon Scott on our Ross Sea voyages.